Google has set up a developer challenge with USD 10 million worth of prize money. Android developers submitting their applications between January 2 and March 3, 2008 can have a shot at one of the 70 prizes. In the first round the 50 best are awarded $25,000 for further development of their application. Those selected will then be eligible for even greater recognition via ten $275,000 awards and ten $100,000 awards.
Google is especially looking for innovative, useful apps that make use of Android's capabilities to deliver a better mobile experience. Some suggestions:
- Social networking
- Media consumption, management, editing, or sharing, e.g., photos
- Productivity and collaboration such as email, IM, calendar, etc.
- News and information
- Rethinking of traditional user interfaces
- Use of mash-up functionality
- Use of location-based services
- Humanitarian benefits
- Applications in service of global economic development
- Whatever you're excited about!
More information about the contest can be found at Google.